Friday, August 10, 2007

Could this be my new hobby?

I think I’ve found my own. An extravagant sports/hobby, that I could really be hooked on. I have tried scuba diving but the psychological resistance to breathe through my mouth is too big. Even though the under-water world is captivating and very surreal. I have also tried golf, but golf has too many rules. Even though the whole ball kicking and aiming is good fun.
Yesterday, a friendly TV channel treated us to a windsurfing training. Now this is what I call really good fun. There are only about 8,5 basic rules to get the hang of it. It requires strong arms and legs and good balance, which I’ve got covered. It all takes place on water, so even when you fall, it won’t hurt. There is, of course, the occasional chance of getting hit by the pole when falling off, but that’s why we have arms to cover the head, right.
After the basic training on dry land we were allowed to start catching the wind on sea. I think it took me about 4 times of falling off before becoming good friends with the board and sail. As a general observation – all the girls seemed to master the techniques a lot faster than the guys. It must be the lighter weight and better balance thing. However, it may also have to do with the ability of multitasking:) I wonder if it’s also connected to dancing skills. There’s a lot of dancing around on board when turning it.
The feeling that you get, when catching a good wind and surfing over the water under a glaring sun…it’s almost like flying, definitely the closest to flying I’ve ever felt. I think I spent around 3 hours on water and would have loved to do it longer but the beginner’s exhaustion was taking over. Today my muscles are hurting and I’m tired but I definitely want to do it again. I just wish Estonian summer would last longer!


No comments: